Lubomirski Palace, Warsaw
Lubomirski Palace (Template:Lang-pl) is a palace located in central Warsaw, which was built in the eighteenth century for the Radziwi?? family.
thumb with the palace in the 18th century in the Baroque style by Bernardo Bellotto]] thumb in May 1941]] thumb In the eighteenth century the Radziwi?? family bought the northern areas of town near Warsaw Wielopole. Prior to 1712 his estate was built there. In 1730, the palace belonged to the architect Jan Zygmunt Deybl. In 1760 the palace started rebuilding in a late baroque style, but was not completed. Renovations were led by Jakub Fontana, a renowned architect at the time.
In 1790, the residence and the adjacent lands were bought by Aleksander Lubomirski. In the years 1791-1793 the palace was converted into a neoclassical design by Joachim Hempel. Among other things, a colonnade was added, consisting of 10 massive columns and the floor of the courtyard and outbuilding floor on the main body. Rozalia Lubomirska, wife of Aleksander Lubomirski (the only Pole executed on the guillotine during the French Revolution) lived in the palace.
In 1816, the daughter of Aleksander Lubomirski sold the palace to General Isidore Krasi?ski. Between 1828-1834 the palace was owned by the government of the Kingdom of Poland and occupied by offices and a hospital during the November Uprising. In 1834, the estate was bought by financier Abraham Simon Cohen. During this period, the palace was rebuilt to maximise profitability. For this purpose, many shops, market stalls, small apartments and a Jewish prayer house were introduced.
By the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries, the building was needing renovation. In 1928 Wenceslaus Moszkowski transformed the palace and added one floor, damaging its historic character.
In 1938 he sold the building to the City of Warsaw who decided to renovate it, but the plans were not implemented because of the outbreak of the Second World War. The first days of the war saw the destruction of the palace: during the Siege of Warsaw in September 1939, the Germans burned down the building.
After the war the palace was rebuilt. Between 1947-1950, construction work was carried out under the direction of Tadeusz Zurowski. The palace was rebuilt following the earlier plans of neo-classicist Joachim Hempel.
In 1970 it was decided to move the palace on the original site. Marshal Marian Spychalski, proposed turning the palace, so that it aligned with the Saxon Axis. The operation was developed Aleksander Mostowski and took place from 30 March to 18 May 1970. The palace was cut from its walls and foundations and using special trusses and tracks, slowly shifted to its new orientation. As a result, the building was successfully rotated by 74 degrees.
On 16 November 2010, a monument to Tadeusz Ko?ciuszko was unveiled in front of the palace by the American Citygroup company. The monument is an exact copy of the monument unveiled in Washington, DC on May 9 1910, by Antoni Popiel.
Previously, in 1985, a monument had been built in front of the palace to the "Fallen in the Service and Defense of the People's Poland", designed by Jan Bohdan Chmielewski. This was demolished in 1991, having been nicknamed by the inhabitants of Warsaw as the "Monument of the Stabilizers" [of the socialist regime] or the "Ubelisk" (for the Stalinist-era Office of Security, commonly known by its acronym UB).
Today, the palace is home to the Business Centre Club, a media center and the Uczelnia Warszawska im. Marii Sk?odowskiej-Curie.
- Hale Mirowskie
- Iron-Gate Square
- Saxon Axis
- Saxon Garden