Maison de Victor Hugo

From Wiki
Revision as of 18:44, 30 June 2015 by Ingo Eigen (Talk | contribs) (Automatischer Import durch Python-Skript)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Maison de Victor Hugo

Maison de Victor Hugo is the house where Victor Hugo lived for 16 years from 1832–1848. It is one of the 14 City of Paris' Museums that have been incorporated since January 1st 2013 in the public institution Paris Musées.


The museum is in the Place des Vosges and dates from 1605 when a lot was granted to Isaac Arnauld in the south-east corner of the square. It was substantially improved by the de Rohans family, who gave the building its current name of Hôtel de Rohan-Guéménée. Victor Hugo was 30 when he moved into the house in October 1832 with his wife Adèle. They rented a 280 square metre apartment on the second floor. The mansion was converted into a museum when a large donation was made by Paul Meurice to the city of Paris to buy the house.

Bedroom where Hugo died
Staircases to the second floor

The museum consists of an antechamber leading through the Chinese living room and medieval style dining room to Victor Hugo’s bedroom where he died in 1885.

Victor Hugo's House also manage Hauteville House, Guernsey (Channel Islands).

Access and opening times

The parisian museum, at 6, place des Vosges is within easy walking distance of three Paris Metro stations :

  • Saint-Paul
  • Chemin-Vert
  • Bastille

Opening times are from Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm. It is closed on Mondays and public holidays. Phone numbers for the museum are 00 33 (1) 42 72 10 16 and for fax 00 33 (1) 42 72 06 64

See also

  • List of museums in Paris



External links