Our Lady of Lourdes, Wanstead

From Wiki
Revision as of 20:35, 30 June 2015 by Ingo Eigen (Talk | contribs) (Automatischer Import durch Python-Skript)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox church Our Lady Of Lourdes church is the Catholic parish church of Wanstead, and is part of the Diocese of Brentwood.


A mass centre was opened in Wanstead in 1910 by the parish priest of Walthamstow. In 1918 it was transferred to the hall of the newly opened St. Joseph's convent school, Cambridge Park. Wanstead became a separate parish in 1919, and the church was opened in 1928, and completed in 1934–9.


The church was built in the Neo-Gothic style. The church exterior is of red brick with cream stone edgings. Inside, the plan is that of a nave and two aisles on either side. At the back, over the entrance, there is the choir balcony, on which a new organ is being constructed. The interior walls are simply whitewashed, excluding the stonework. Behind the altar is an elaborate stone gothic altarpiece

Exterior seen from Cambridge Park

Recently, two stained glass windows were inserted in the left aisle.


Template:Unreferenced Template:Reflist Template:Coord