Ss. Peter and Paul, Wannsee
Ss. Peter and Paul Church on Nikolskoë is a Protestant church in the Volkspark Glienecke in Berlin. Its today congregation forms part of the Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia.
The church has a Russian Orthodox profile, with the noteworthy difference that it has only one onion dome, instead of the five usually seen in Russia.
King Friedrich Wilhelm III had the church built for the residents of Klein-Glienicke and Pfaueninsel on a bluff on the Havel near the Pfaueninsel and the Nikolskoë Blockhouse. It was designed by the architects Friedrich August Stüler and Albert Dietrich Schadow and inaugurated on August 13, 1837.
Ss. Peter and Paul contains the grave of Prince Carl of Prussia. Its current glockenspiel leans against that of the Potsdam Garrison Church.
Until 1961, when the Berlin Wall cut the parish into three separate parts, Ss. Peter and Paul Church was part of the Evangelical Congregation of Neubabelsberg, then comprising a parish in Potsdam-Babelsberg, Klein-Glienicke (divided between Berlin and Potsdam), Nikolskoë and Potsdam-Sacrow with the further chapel in Klein-Glienicke and the beautiful Church of the Redeemer, Sacrow.
On December 22, 1941 the official German Evangelical Church called for suited actions by all Protestant church bodies to withhold baptised non-Aryans from all spheres of Protestant church life. Many German Christian-dominated congregations followed suit. However, the Evangelical Congregation of Neubabelsberg handed in a list of signatures in protest against the exclusion of the stigmatised Protestants of Jewish descent.
- Berlin St. Peter und Paul Ansicht.jpg
View of Ss. Peter and Paul from the Architektonischen Album (1842)
- Berlin St. Peter und Paul Schnitt.jpg
Cut out of Ss. Peter and Paul from the Architektonischen Album (1842)
- Berlin St.Peter und Paul - Schnitt Altarnische.jpg
Altar of Ss. Peter and Paul from the Architektonischen Album (1842)