Whitton railway station

From Wiki
Revision as of 13:08, 30 June 2015 by Ingo Eigen (Talk | contribs) (Automatischer Import durch Python-Skript)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Distinguish Template:Use dmy dates Template:Use British English Template:Infobox London station Whitton railway station is in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, in south London, and is in Travelcard Zone 5. The station and all trains serving it are operated by South West Trains. The ticket office is staffed 7 days a week during the day time. There are no ticket barriers or gates, but there are two Oyster card readers near the ticket office. South West trains will be introducing 10 coach trains in 2013/14. The platforms were extended at the eastern ends in February 2012, and from October 2013, London bound trains stop further along the platform. As they are still 4 or 8 coach trains, the back of the train is no longer in line with the entrance / exit, and none of the train aligns with the canopy. A coffee shop opened during 2007 on the London bound platform 1, but closed in 2009, although another, named Café Elite, opened in 2011.

History

The line through Whitton was opened by the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway (WS&SWR) when the WS&SWR extended its line from Richmond to Datchet on 22 August 1848. In July 1850 the WS&SWR was absorbed into the London and South Western Railway (LSWR).

On 1 January 1883 the LSWR opened a curve enabling down trains from Twickenham to pass the site of what was to become Whitton station and access the Hounslow Loop. On 1 January 1923 the LSWR amalgamated with other railways to form the Southern Railway. In the late 1920s the Southern was planning to extend its third rail electric train system from London Waterloo to Windsor & Eton (Riverside). As part of that plan new development in what was once rural areas were to receive new stations. So, from 6 July 1930 the Windsor Lines became electrified and a new station was opened called Whitton. As today Whitton is a classic Southern structure with steel canopies and pre-cast concrete platforms. Whitton Station survived the war unscathed and three years after the war ended, on 1 January 1948, the station and line passed into the ownership of British Railways. In the 1980s and 1990s the station became part of Network South East and that changed due to the privatisation of the railways. Ever since the mid-1990s the franchise serving Whitton has been South West Trains.

Services

The typical off-peak service from the station is:

  • 4 Up tph (trains per hour) to London Waterloo, of which:
    • all run via Richmond and Clapham Junction
    • There are 4 Down tph calling of which 2 go to Windsor & Eton-Riverside and 2 go back to London-Waterloo via the Hounslow Loop
  • 2tph peak services to Waterloo and 2 to Aldershot or Reading.

On Sundays this is reduced to:

  • 2tph to Waterloo
  • 2tph to Windsor & Eton Riverside

The service is normally provided by class 450/5 electric trains and class 455 trains. These will be replaced by 5 or 10 coach class 458/5 during 2013/14

Template:Rail start Template:Rail line one to two Template:S-end

References

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Commons category Template:Stn art lnk

Template:LB Richmond Template:Transport in London Template:SWT Stations