Doopsgezinde Weeshuis, Haarlem
The Doopsgezinde Weeshuis is a former orphanage in Haarlem. The complex was designed by A. van der Linden to replace the old orphanage located at the Klein Heiligland 58, which had been in use since 1634.
The building had running water, which was new, and two large meeting rooms for the regents, one for the 4 regents, and one for the 4 regentesses. Once a year they would dine there, and once a year all the orphans of Haarlem would be treated to buns on Pieter Teyler van der Hulst's birthday, as stipulated in his will and testament. Jan Adam Kruseman painted the large group portrait of the regents, featuring a few of the orphans wearing their habitual Mennonite orphan dress (the city orphans had one red sleeve and one blue sleeve, but Mennonite orphans wore brown).
In 1939 the building was confiscated for military purposes and the orphanage moved to Baan 25. Under german rule it became a works council, and in 1983 the archives moved here. The regent rooms have remained largely intact.
- Jan Adam Kruseman - detail Regenten van de Doopsgezinde Weeshuis Haarlem 1834.jpg
Detail of Kruseman's painting featuring the orphans
- Steden sleutels archieven - Doopsgezinde Weeshuis Kleine Houtweg Haarlem.jpg
Old key chest in one of the regent's rooms.
- Regentenkamer Doopsgezinde Weeshuis Kleine Houtweg Haarlem.jpg
Regent's room, now a meeting room
- History on website of the North Holland archives