Erenköy Girls High School
Erenköy Girls High School (Turkish: Erenköy K?z Anadolu Lisesi) is a public girls high school at Erenköy neighborhood of Kad?köy district in Istanbul, Turkey. Founded in 1911, during the Ottoman Empire, it is the oldest surviving girls high school in the country and the only girls high school in Istanbul.<ref name="s1">Template:Cite news</ref>
Erenköy Girls High School was established 1911 in the Mansion of Nemizade Zihni Bey at Kabasakal neighborhood of Istanbul. It was later renamed Model School for Girls (Template:Lang-ota) and moved to the Mansion of R?dvan Pasha. In 1916, the school was finally named Erenköy Girls High School (Template:Lang-ota). The school moved then to a mansion purchased for 7,500 gold coins by the Ministry of Education from Mabeyinci Faik Bey. The school dormitory was extended by purchasing the mansion of Hajji Hüseyin Pasha from its last owner Hatice Sultan, one of the daughters of Sultan Murad V (reigned 1876).<ref name ="s2">Template:Cite news</ref><ref name="ekl">Template:Cite web</ref>
Education continued at scattered sites after the school building burnt down on February 22, 1945. The school moved into the current building in the academic year 1954-55. From 1990 on, no more boarding students were accepted. Erenköy Girls High School is today an Anadolu-type high school called "Super High School", at which education is in a foreign language, the courses are computer-aided and the classroom size is limited.<ref name="s2"/><ref name="ekl"/>
This school has educated generations of Turkish women who have achieved important social standing in the Turkish society. Until 1979, it was a girls-only school, when boy students were also accepted to the school. This practice lasted for only one and a half academic years and the school never again accepted boys.<ref name="s1"/><ref name="ekl"/>
- Bedia Muvahhit (1897-1994), a renowned stage and movie actress, served as a teacher for French language between 1921-1923 before her acting career.
- Remziye Hisar (1902-1992), teacher of chemistry serving as administrative staff
- Türkan Akyol (born 1928), graduated 1947. Physician, academic and politician. Turkey's first female government minister and first female university rector.
- Ayten Alpman (1929-2012), jazz and pop singer<ref name="eklmdu">Template:Cite web</ref>
- Günseli Ba?ar (born 1932), Miss Europe 1952<ref name="eklbdg">Template:Cite web</ref>
- Gülben Ergen (born 1972), pop singer<ref name="eklmdu"/>
- Mübeccel Nam?k, Miss Turkey 1930<ref name="eklbdg"/>
- Hale Soygazi (born 1950), film actress<ref name="eklmdu"/>
- ErenköyGirlsHighSchool BuildingA 2.jpg
- ErenköyGirlsHighSchool BuildingB 1.jpg