Foundation E.G. Bührle
Template:Infobox Museum The Foundation E.G. Bührle Collection (Stiftung Sammlung E. G. Bührle) was established by the Bührle family in Zürich, Switzerland to bring to public viewing Emil Georg Bührle's important collection of European sculptures and paintings. The Foundation's art museum is in a Zurich villa adjoining Bührle's former home.
Although the collection includes a number of Old Masters and Modern art including works by Pierre Bonnard, Georges Braque, Henri Matisse, and Pablo Picasso, it comprises mainly French Impressionism and Post-Impressionism paintings by Paul Cézanne, Edgar Degas, Paul Gauguin, Édouard Manet, Claude Monet, Camille Pissarro, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Georges Seurat, Alfred Sisley, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Vincent van Gogh and others.
- Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot 032.jpg
Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot: A Girl Reading, 1845-1850
- Edouard Manet 057.jpg
Oil on Canvas, 1873
- Edouard Manet 059.jpg
The Suicide, 1877-1881
- Paul Signac Deux stylistes Rue du Caire.jpg
Two Milliners in the Rue du Caire, 1885-86
- Vincent Willem van Gogh 024.jpg
Vincent van Gogh:
The Sower (after Millet), 1888
- Paul Cézanne 157.jpg
Self-Portrait with Palette, 1890
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec 045.jpg
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec: Messaline, 1900-1901
Reclining Nude, 1916
On 10 February 2008, four paintings worth CHF 180 million ($162.5 million) were stolen.
The four paintings are Cézanne's The Boy in the Red Vest (1894/1895), Degas' Count Lepic and His Daughters (1871), Monet's Poppies near Vétheuil (1879) and Van Gogh's Blossoming Chestnut Branches (1890).
- Paul Cézanne, Jeune garçon au gilet rouge (1888-89).jpg
The Boy in the Red Vest
Oil on Canvas (1894/1895)
- Edgar Germain Hilaire Degas 053.jpg
Count Lepic and His Daughters (1871)
- Mohnfeld vetheuil hi.jpg
Poppies near Vétheuil
- Blossoming Chestnut Branches.jpg
Vincent van Gogh:
Blossoming Chestnut Branches (1890)
All four paintings have since been recovered. Monet's Poppies near Vétheuil and Van Gogh's Blossoming Chestnut Branches, were recovered on February 18, 2008 in a car parked at a nearby hospital's parking lot. Cézanne's "The Boy in the Red Vest" was recovered in Serbia on April 12, 2012. Count Lepic and His Daughters was recovered in April 2012 with slight damages. Three men were arrested in connection with the theft.
- Gloor, Lukas (ed.): Stiftung Sammlung E. G. Bührle: Katalog I–III. Silvana 2004–2005, ISBN 88-87582-95-5 (1), ISBN 88-87582-88-2 (2), ISBN 88-87582-73-4 (3).
- Emil Maurer: Stiftung Sammlung E. G. Bührle, Zürich. Bern 1992 ISBN 3-85782-526-X
- Katalog Washington D.C.: The Passionate Eye, Impressionist and other Master Paintings from the E. G. Bührle Collection. Zürich 1990 ISBN 0-8478-1215-4
- Official webpage in German and in English
- Complete list of artists in the Bührle Foundation's collection