The commune of Malakoff was created on 8 November 1883 by detaching its territory from the commune of Vanves. Its name was taken from an inn sign "A la Tour de Malakoff" (= "At the Malakoff Tower"); the inn was so named in 1855 to commemorate the Battle of Malakoff, fought during the Crimean War.
Malakoff is served by two stations on Paris Métro Line 13: Malakoff – Plateau de Vanves and Malakoff – Rue Étienne Dolet.
Malakoff is also served by Vanves – Malakoff station on the Transilien Paris – Montparnasse suburban rail line. This station is located at the border between the commune of Malakoff and the commune of Vanves, on the Vanves side of the border.
- Charles Bourseul (1829–1912), savant, inventor of a method of transmitting words using electricity. He lived at 62, rue d'Arcueil (since named the rue Paul Vaillant-Couturier).
- Henri Rousseau, called "The Customs Agent", (1844–1910), painter, took his nickname from the fact that his full-time job was as a collector of taxes (the octroi) at the Porte de Vanves in Malakoff.
- Edmond Lachenal, (1855–1948), potter who opened his first pottery works (from 1880 to 1887) in the city.
- Gaëtan Gatian de Clérambault (1872–1934), was a psychiatrist, an ethnologist, and a photographer. Lived in a beautiful villa in the rue Vincent Moris.
- Pierre Curie (1859–1906) and Marie Curie (1867–1934) rented a house in the market street (rue du Marché, now called the rue Gabriel-Crié). In a shed on the property, they pursued some of their work with radium (1900 to 1904).
- Henri Désiré Landru, serial killer, had a small garage on the Châtillon road (now called the avenue Pierre Brossolette) around the time of the First World War.
- Eugène Christophe (1885–1970), cyclist, winner of the Milan-San Remo race and first wearer of the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.
- Sanyu (1901–1966), painter, lived from 1928 to 1931 in Malakoff at the foot of Jean-Jacques Rousseau street.
- Francesca Solleville, singer, lives in Malakoff.
- Pablo Reinoso, artist and designer, lives in Malakoff.
- Christian Boltanski, artist, lives and works in Malakoff.
- Annette Messager, artist, lives and works in Malakoff.
- Sophie Calle, artist, lives and works in Malakoff.
- Louis de Grandmaison, painter, lived in Malakoff.
- Sam Szafran, artist, lives and works in Malakoff
- Communes of the Hauts-de-Seine department
- Official website (in French)