Notre-Dame de Clignancourt

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Paris Notre-Dame de Clignancourt209.JPG
Facade of Notre-Dame de Clignancourt

Notre-Dame de Clignancourt (Our Lady of Clignancourt) is a Roman Catholic church located in the 18th arrondissement of Paris. Completed in 1863, the church takes its name from Clignancourt, a small village in the commune of Montmartre that was annexed to Paris in 1860. It was one of three new parishes created to accommodate the growing population in the northern edge of the city.<ref name = "CC" />

The cornerstone was laid by the French city planner Georges-Eugène Haussmann in 1859. It was designed in the Neo-Romanesque style by Paul-Eugène Lequeux and completed in 1863.<ref name = "Sim">Simeone, Nigel (2000). Paris: A Musical Gazetteer, pp. 68 and 156. Yale University Press</ref> Many valuable pieces of furniture and religious objects were donated by Empress Eugenie, the wife of Napoleon III, but were lost or damaged when the church was pillaged in the violence leading up to the Paris Commune in 1870.

The church still contains paintings and frescos by prominent 19th-century artists, including Romain Cazes and Félix-Joseph Barrias, and a large marble sculpture depicting the Pietà. The stained glass windows in the lower part of the church are largely from the Art Deco period. The windows in the choir, depicting the Holy Trinity and the Litany of Loreto, were made by Jacques Le Chevallier in the 1970s.<ref name = "CC">Charle, Christophe and Roche, Daniel (2002). Capitales culturelles, capitales symboliques: Paris et les expériences européennes, XVIIIème-XXème siècles, pp. 219 and 222. Publications de la Sorbonne Template:Fr</ref>

The organ in Notre-Dame de Clignancourt was built by Joseph Merklin. Several prominent musicians are associated with the church. Gabriel Fauré and Victor Sieg both served as organists there.<ref name = "Sim" /><ref name = "Pougin">Pougin, Arthur (16 April 1899). "Nécrologie", Le Ménestrel, p. 128 Template:Fr</ref> Louis Vierne played the organ for the funeral of the French violinist Henri Adam held at the church in 1890, and the composer André Jolivet attended the church's choir school in his youth.

References

Template:Reflist

External links


Template:Coord