Template:Infobox building The Passage Jouffroy is a covered pedestrian walkway in the 9th arrondissement of Paris of Paris, France. It runs between the Boulevard Montmartre to the south and the rue de la Grange-Batelière to the north.
The Passage Jouffroy is a covered walkway in the south of the 9th arrondissement of Paris, on the border with the 2nd arrondissement. It begins in the south between 10 and 12 boulevard Montmartre, and ends in the north at 9 rue de la Grange-Batelière.Template:Sfn
Each passage is about Template:Convert long and Template:Convert wide. About Template:Convert from its entrance on the Boulevard Montmartre, the passage makes a right angle turn and runs west for a few metres before descending some stairs. It then continues in a northerly direction to its outlet on the rue Grange-Batelière. This was imposed by the irregular pattern of the three plots on which the passage was built. This last part of the passage is particularly narrow, leaving room only for the corridor and a shop.
The Passage des Panoramas opens as a continuation of the passage Jouffroy on the other side of the Boulevard Montmartre. The Passage Verdeau does the same on the other side, after crossing the street from the Grange Batelière.
The passage is covered by a canopy of metal and glass. An ornate clock stucco overlooks the alley.Template:Sfn The floor is paved with a geometric pattern composed of white, gray and black squares. The exit from the musée Grévin is located inside the Passage Jouffroy.
The Passage Jouffroy was built in 1845 along the line of the Passage des Panoramas in order to capitalize on the popularity of the latter. A private company was formed to manage it, headed by Count Felix de Jouffroy-Gonsans (1791-1863), who gave his name to the passage, and M. Verdeau, who gave his name to the passage that was built as a further extension, the passage Verdeau. The passage was built by architects François Destailleur and Romain de Bourges.
The Passage Jouffroy represents an important stage in the technological evolution of the 19th century and the mastery of iron structures. It is the first Parisian passage built entirely of metal and glass. Only the decorative elements are wooden. It is also the first passage heated by the ground.
In the early 1880s Arthur Meyer, founder of the newspaper Le Gaulois, joined the cartoonist Alfred Grévin to create a gallery of wax figures on a property adjacent to the passage. It was inaugurated on 10 January 1882 and has since taken the name of the musée Grévin. The exit of the museum, decorated with a montage of various characters, is in the passage and contributes in large part to its success.Template:Fact The museum includes a hall of mirrors that was originally housed in the Palais des mirages designed by Eugène Hénard for the Exposition Universelle (1900).Template:Sfn
In 1974 the passage was registered as a French historical monument.Template:Sfn The passage was completely renovated in 1987 and regained its original paving.
- P1020611 Paris IX Passage Jouffroy rwk.JPG
Entrance on boulevard Montmartre
- P1020612 Paris IX Passage Jouffroy rwk.JPG
Main glass-covered passage
- P1020617 Paris IX Passage Jouffroy-Musée Grévin rwk.JPG
Entrance of the musée Grévin
- P1020618 Paris IX Passage Jouffroy rwk.JPG
Passage looking towards rue de la Grange-Batelière
External links Template:Commonscat