The large public space at the Place Saint Sulpice, which is dominated on its eastern side by the church of Saint-Sulpice, was built in 1754 as a tranquil garden in the Latin Quarter of the 6th arrondissement of Paris.
Attractions of the square
In addition to the church, the square features:
The Fountain Saint-Sulpice (French: Fontaine Saint-Sulpice) or Fountain of the Four Bishops (Fontaine des Quatre Evêques), built in the center of the square between 1844 and 1848, was designed by the architect Joachim Visconti. The fountain presents the statues of four bishops, one on each of its sides:
- Bossuet, North, statue by Jean-Jacques Feuchère
- Fénelon, West, statue by François Lanno
- Fléchier, East, statue by Louis Desprez
- Massillon, South, statue by Jacques-Auguste Fauginet
Some people call this monumental fountain the fontaine des quatre points cardinaux (lit. the "Fountain of the Four Cardinal Directions", which is pronounced as the "Fountain of the Four Not Cardinals"). This is a bit of innocent wordplay; none of the four esteemed bishops ever became a cardinal.
Chestnut trees that produce pink flowers, in season.
The Café de la Mairie, a rendezvous for writers and students. The café was featured in the 1990 film, La Discrète ("The Discrete One"), directed by Christian Vincent, starring Fabrice Luchini and Judith Henry.
The mairie (city hall) of the 6th arrondissement.