Rue de la Paix, Paris

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Refimprove Template:Paris streetbox

The rue de la Paix (Template:IPA-fr) is a fashionable shopping street in the center of Paris. Located in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris, running north from Place Vendôme and ending at the Opéra Garnier, it is best known for its jewellers, such as the shop opened by Cartier in 1898.<ref name="Paris 2e">Paris 2e arrondissement Mémoire des rues Auteur Meryem Khouya Éditeur Parimagine, 2007</ref> Charles Frederick Worth was the first to open a couture house in the rue de la Paix.

History

The street was opened in 1806 from Place Vendôme on the orders of Napoleon I, part of the Napoleonic program to open the heart of the Right Bank of Paris, both towards the undeveloped western suburbs and to the north. Creating the new street required the demolition of the ancient Convent of the Capucins. At first named Rue Napoléon, its name was changed in 1814, after the Bourbon Restoration, to celebrate the newly arranged peace.

Transportation

Based in the center of Paris, the street can be reached by:

  • metro: line 1 18px
  • or buses: 72.

Retail outlets associated with Rue da la Paix

  • Louis Aucoc - The Aucoc family firm at 6 Rue de la Paix was established in 1821
  • Duvelleroy is a fan-maker house established at 15 Rue de la Paix in 1827 by Jean-Pierre Duvelleroy,
  • Cartier - 1898.<ref name="Paris 2e"/>
  • Charles Frederick Worth was the first to open a couture house at 7 rue de la Paix, and in 1885 created the label of his salon "Worth 7, Rue de la Paix".

Rue de la Paix in popular culture

  • The Rue de la Paix is the equivalent to "Boardwalk" in the French version of Monopoly, and is that game's most expensive property.
  • Rue de la Paix in mentioned by Rhett Butler in the novel Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell as the source of the green bonnet purchased to bring Scarlett O'Hara out of mourning.

References

Template:Reflist

Template:Coord




Template:Paris-road-stub