Saint-Bernard de la Chapelle Church
The Church of Saint-Bernard de la Chapelle or simply Saint-Bernard-de-la-Chapelle (Template:Lang-fr), is a neo-gothic Roman Catholic church in the Goutte d'Or neighborhood of the 18th arrondissement of Paris, located at the intersection of the Rue Saint-Bruno and the Rue Affre.
Until 1860, the Goutte d'Or formed part of the commune of La Chapelle, and was thus served by the historic village Church of Saint-Denys de la Chapelle, where Joan of Arc paused when entering Paris in 1429. The construction and development of the Gare du Nord, immediately to the south of the Goutte d'Or, led to a significant increase in the neighbourhood's population, thus generating a need for a new church. Construction of this church – the future Saint-Bernard-de-la-Chapelle – began in 1858 and was completed in 1861, by which time the Goutte d'Or neighbourhood was part of the 18th arrondissement of Paris, following the incorporation of a number of communes (including La Chapelle) into an expanded city of Paris.
In September 1996, the church was the scene of an expulsion by the police of illegal immigrants who had taken refuge there.
Saint-Bernard is also the name of the chapel of the Gare Montparnasse.