Spice Bazaar, Istanbul

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Spice Bazaar (Turkish: M?s?r Çar??s?, meaning Egyptian Bazaar) in Istanbul, Turkey is one of the largest bazaars in the city. Located in the Eminönü quarter of the Fatih district, it is the second largest covered shopping complex after the Grand Bazaar.

History

There are several documents suggesting the name of the bazaar was first "New Bazaar". The building was endowed to the foundation of the New Mosque, and got its name "Egyptian Bazaar" (Template:Lang-tr) because it was built with the revenues from the Ottoman eyalet of Egypt in 1660.<ref name=fre>John Freely: "The Companion Guide to Istanbul" (2000)</ref> The word m?s?r has a double meaning in Turkish: "Egypt" and "maize". This is why sometimes the name is wrongly translated as "Corn Bazaar". The bazaar was (and still is) the center for spice trade in Istanbul, but in the last years more and more shops of other type are replacing the spice shops.<ref name=fre/>

The building itself is part of the külliye (complex) of the New Mosque. The revenues obtained from the rented shops inside the bazaar building were used for the upkeeping of the mosque.

The structure was designed by the court architect Koca Kas?m A?a, but the construction works began under the supervision of another court architect, Mustafa A?a, in the last months of 1660; following the Great Fire of Istanbul (1660) that began on 24 July 1660 and, lasting for slightly more than two days (circa 49 hours, according to the chronicles of Abdi Pasha),<ref name=Baer/> destroyed many neighbourhoods in the city.<ref name=Baer>M. D. Baer: "The Great Fire of 1660 in Istanbul" International Journal of Middle East Studies, Vol. 36, No. 2, (May 2004), pp. 159-181.</ref><ref name=Walkingistanbul>Walkingistanbul.com: Fountain of Sultana Turhan Hatice</ref> A major rebuilding and redevelopment effort started in the city following the fire, which included the resumption of the New Mosque's construction works in 1660 (halted between 1603 and 1660, the construction of the mosque was ultimately completed between 1660 and 1665) and the beginning of the Spice Bazaar's construction in the same year (all buildings in the New Mosque külliye, including the Spice Bazaar, were commissioned by Sultana Turhan Hatice, the Valide Sultan (Queen Mother) of Sultan Mehmed IV.)<ref name=Baer/><ref name=Walkingistanbul/>

Gallery

See also

  • List of shopping malls in Istanbul

References

Template:Reflist

Sources

External links

Template:Commons category

Template:Coord





Template:Istanbul-geo-stub