Abbesses (Paris Métro)
Template:Use dmy dates Template:Infobox Paris metro Abbesses (Template:IPA-fr, literally Abbesses) is a station on Paris Métro Line 12, in the Montmartre district and the 18th arrondissement. Abbesses is one of the few deep stations of Paris métro, at 36 metres (118 feet) below ground, as it is located on western side of the butte (hill) of Montmartre. Access to the platforms is usually by elevators, but they can be accessed by decorated stairs.
Nearby are the Montmartre district, the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre (church), the Place du Tertre and the Église Saint-Jean-de-Montmartre (Art Nouveau church). The station is named after the Place des Abbesses, referring to the abbesses of the nearby abbey of the Dames-de-Montmartre.
The station opened on 31 October 1912 as part of the extension of the Nord-Sud company's line A from Pigalle to Jules Joffrin. On 27 March 1931, line A became line 12 of the Métro. The RATP has recently completed a major renovation of this station, which has returned it to its splendid original Nord-Sud condition.
|Line 12 platforms|
|Southbound||? 20px 20px toward Mairie d'Issy (Pigalle)|
|Northbound||? 20px 20px toward Front Populaire (Lamarck – Caulaincourt) ?|
The station's entrance, designed by Hector Guimard (1867–1942), is one of only two original glass covered Guimard entrances, called édicules, left in Paris. (The other being at Porte Dauphine, and at the intersection of Rue des Halles) The station entrance at Place Sainte-Opportune is a replica installed in 2000. The entrance was originally used for the Hôtel de Ville metro station, but transferred to its current location in 1970.
Abbesses in popular culture
- Abbesses is featured in Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain; a working title for the film was Amélie des Abbesses (Amélie of the Abbesses).
- The entrance to Abbesses metro station is featured near the beginning of music video for Howard Jones' What Is Love as well as several other locations around Paris
- Louis Vuitton has a messenger style bag in the Monogram Canvas line named after the station.
- A cartoon version of the station appears in the official music video for "Flowers", the ninth track on Émilie Simon).
- "Abbesses" is also where Minette's fashion studio is located in a Nancy Drew Pc game Danger By Design.
- The French DJ crew Birdy Nam Nam has composed a musical piece called Abbesses .