Agar Town (also known as Ague Town, Hagar Town, Agar-Town and Agar-town) was a short-lived area of St Pancras in central London. It was named after William Agar, a wealthy lawyer who lived at Elm Lodge, a villa in large grounds near to the Regent's Canal roughly where Barker Drive is now. Agar Town consisted of low-quality housing for poor people, built of the lowest quality materials on 21 year leases, and was generally considered a slum, although this designation has been questioned.
The neighbourhood was started in 1841 with Agar's widow leasing out small plots on the north side of the canal. Ownership passed to the Church Commissioners, who sold it to the Midland Railway. The company demolished most of the housing to make way for warehouses supplying St Pancras railway station from 1866.
The name of Agar Town is commemorated by Agar Grove, a road that runs along the edge of where Agar Town used to be, and which was originally called St Paul's Road, Camden Town.
- Camden Town Murder
- Mapping Poverty in Agar Town: Economic Conditions Prior to the Development of St. Pancras Station In 1866
- Saint Thomas, Agar Town: Camden