Angel Road railway station
Template:Use dmy dates Template:Use British English Template:Infobox London station Angel Road railway station - the second-least used station in London - is in the London Borough of Enfield at Edmonton, and is in Travelcard Zone 4, on the Tottenham Hale branch of the Lea Valley Lines. The station, and all trains serving it, is operated by Greater Anglia. It is partially located beneath the A406 road (which is named Angel Road at that point). Due to reconstruction of the A406 in the mid-1990s (involving grade-separation), the station no longer has an entrance on Angel Road, with the only access via a footpath running south from Conduit Lane to the north. The station is unstaffed.
Prior to December 2005 the typical off-peak service from the station was one train per hour to Bishop's Stortford and one train per hour to London Liverpool Street.
As a result of timetable changes Angel Road is now served by one train every weekday to and from Liverpool Street and 10 trains every weekday to and from Stratford. There is no service on weekdays before 05:55, between 10:00 and 15:45, or after 20:00, and no service at weekends or public holidays.
The 341 bus service from Waterloo claims to terminate at Angel Road however, it actually terminates outside the Ikea store on Glover Drive.
The station was opened on 15 September 1840 by the Northern and Eastern Railway as Edmonton although it was situated ¾ mile from the village.
The Northern and Eastern Railway was leased by the Eastern Counties Railway in 1844 who took over operation of the line. The line was initially laid to a gauge of Template:Railgauge but already this had been identified as non standard and between 5 September and 7 October 1844 the whole network was re-laid to Template:Railgauge.
The station was renamed as Water Lane on 1 March 1849 by the Eastern Counties Railway when the station became a junction station with the branch to Lower Edmonton (low level) railway station to the north west being opened.
The station was taken over by the Great Eastern Railway in 1862 and renamed Angel Road on 1 January 1864. It had a small goods yard to the west of the station and Tottenham Gas works were located to the south of the station.
It became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923.
Regular passenger services ceased on the Lower Edmonton Low Level line in 1939 although it was still used as a diversionary route.
The station then passed on to the Eastern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
Freight services ceased in 1964 on the Lower Edmonton Low Level line and the line was lifted the following year.
The Lea Valley line between Copper Mill Junction and Cheshunt was electrified at 25 kV in 1969.
When Sectorisation was introduced in the 1980s, the station was served by Network SouthEast until the Privatisation of British Railways.
With the privatization of the UK's railways in 1994 operation of the station was initially allocated to a business unit which succeeded the old British Railways structure before being taken over by West Anglia Great Northern (WAGN) in January 1997. Initially owned by Prism Rail, National Express took over operation in July 2000. In 1994 responsibility for the operational infrastructure passed to Railtrack.
In August 2002 signalling control was transferred to the Liverpool Street Integrated Electronic Control Centre (IECC).
The WAGN franchise was replaced in 2003 by the 'One' franchise although this was renamed National Express East Anglia.
The following year following financial difficulties Railtrack was replaced by Network Rail.
In February 2012 operation of the station changed once again with Dutch group Abellio winning the franchise.
- Angel Road stn southbound.JPG
View southwards towards the A406 Angel Road (North Circular Road), no longer having an access to the station.
- Angel Road stn northbound.JPG
View northwards towards Conduit Lane, visible far in the distance beyond the station footbridge.
- Angel Road stn signage.JPG
Signage on northbound platform with National Express East Anglia logo on right.
- Angel Road stn from Conduit Lane.JPG
View southwards from Conduit Lane, footpath visible to the right of the tracks.