It sits close to Enfield's borders with two other boroughs: Barnet and Haringey. Arnos Grove used to be considered part of Southgate, and then New Southgate.
Today Arnos Grove is centred on the western end of Bowes Road A1110 road, although the estate was centred on what is now Morton Crescent. The road running from Morton Crescent to Southgate is also called Arnos Grove.
Named from an estate called Arnoldes Grove 1551, Arno's Grove c.1865, that is 'grove or copse of the Arnold family' (who are mentioned in local documents from the 14th century), from Old English gr?f(a).
Arnos Grove was recorded as Arnold(e)s Grove in 1551 and it seems that the name should be associated with the 14th century family of Margery Arnold who lived in the area. The Grove itself runs to the north of the nearby Arnos Park.
Until the 1930s Arnos Grove was largely undeveloped and rural, and not considered to be an area in its own right. Instead, it was considered to be part of Southgate, although in the late 19th century the area of Colney Hatch (which later became known as New Southgate) started nearby.
Arnos Grove was, until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII, owned by the Nuns of Clerkenwell.<ref name = "LondonTown">LondonTown.com - Arnos Park.</ref> It was known as Armholt Wood in the 14th century, and later as Arnolds. A Tudor manor was erected on the site, but was knocked down in 1719 - presumably by James Colebrook, who bought the estate in the same year and built a mansion called Arnolds in Cannon Hill, Southgate. Locals called the estate Arno’s and the next owner, Sir William Mayne (later Lord Newhaven), renamed the house and estate Arnos Grove, which is now pronounced as though it never had an apostrophe.<ref name = "Hidden-London">Hidden London - Arnos Grove.</ref>
The estate was owned from 1777 to 1918 by Walkers of the Taylor Walker brewing family (including the Walkers of Southgate), who bought the nearby Minchenden estate to increase the area of Arnos Grove to over Template:Convert. The New River loop ran through the Arnos Grove Estate until the nineteenth century. The estate was then purchased from the last of the Walker brothers by Lord Inverforth who sold the southernmost Template:Convert to the Southgate Urban District Council, which created Arnos Park in 1928, and property developers.<ref name = "Park Explorer">Park Explorer - Arnos Park.</ref>
The Arnos Grove mansion was also sold in 1928 to the North Metropolitan Electricity Supply Company. The mansion was subsequently enlarged and encased in red brick - it is now an upmarket residential care home called Southgate Beaumont.<ref name="Hidden-London"/>
On 19 September 1932 Arnos Grove tube station was opened, as part of the expansion of the London Underground Piccadilly Line to Cockfosters. In the years that followed Arnos Grove went from a rural area to being fully developed - the part of the estate to the north of Arnos Park was, for example, built up by 1939.<ref name="Hidden-London"/> The main public facilities at Arnos Grove were built in the 1930s. These facilities include Arnos Pool and Bowes Road Library - both of which underwent major refurbishment in the mid-2000s, like Arnos Grove tube station.<ref name = "TfL-Refurbishment">TfL - Arnos Grove improved.</ref> The library and swimming pool, along with Arnos Park, the wealth of facilities at Arnos Grove tube station (such as Ash House, the six sidings, and three tracks through the station with four platforms) and the proximity of Arnos Grove to the North Circular, which had been built in 1929, made Arnos Grove a desirable area to live in.
The southward expansion of Arnos Grove, which was initiated by the bias of facilities to the south of the original estate, was aided by the destruction of parts of New Southgate during World War II. There is now an almost continuous line of shops between Arnos Grove and New Southgate, via Bestyle Circus, making the areas closely linked. Today, seven bus routes (six day - the 34, 184, 232, 251, 298 and 382 - and one night - the N91<ref name = "TfL-Bus">TfL - Bus services from Arnos Grove.</ref>) link Arnos Grove and New Southgate stations. Both areas have been helped by the redevelopment of the nearby Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum into Princess Park Manor, an 'exclusive residential development' containing 'luxury apartments' and a health and fitness complex, where several celebrities live.
Today Arnos Grove is still growing, with local and regional shop brands opening new premises regularly along the Arnos Grove stretch of Bowes Road including a Sainsbury's Local<ref name="Sainsbury's">Sainsbury's Local, Arnos Grove: Store overview</ref> that opened in 2010 where, until the mid-2000s, the local Post Office had been.
One of the main features of Arnos Grove is Arnos Park (44 acres or 18ha in size<ref name="Park Explorer"/>). Arnos Park is a remnant of the Arnos Grove Estate, and was opened in 1928 after having been purchased by Southgate Council.<ref name="Park Explorer"/> The Pymmes Brook flows throughout the length of the park. However, although Arnos Park contains diverse woodland, it is mostly grassy fields. A large brick viaduct, with 34 (numbered) arches, carries the Piccadilly line beyond Arnos Grove tube station towards Southgate through the western end of the park.<ref name = "Pymmes Brook Trail">Pymmes Brook Trail.</ref> The park contains a large playground for children as well as several tennis courts. The Pymmes Brook Trail passes through the park. Also, evidence of the abandoned New River loop can be found within the trees in the north side of the park.<ref name = "Arnos Park Vote">Enfield Council - Mayor lends weight to Vote for Arnos Park campaign.</ref>
Places of worship
The Parish Church of Saint Paul, New Southgate
The church originated in 1870 as a mission to the new district of Colney Hatch by the assistant curate of Christ Church, Southgate. In 1873 it became a consolidated chapelry, formed from Southgate and Friern Barnet parishes, with the vicar of Southgate as Patron of the new living. Attendance on census Sunday 1903 was 206 in the morning and 265 in the evening.
The Anglo-Catholic character of St. Paul's (which continues to the present day) began with the introduction of High Mass in 1914. Services were held in a temporary building in Ely Place until a church was built on land between Betstyle Road (later High Road) and Woodland Road probably given by G. Knights Smith, one of the largest subscribers.
The foundation stone was laid in 1872 and the church, built of stone in the Early English style under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott, was consecrated in 1873. It consists of chancel with north and south chapels and south bell turret and aisled nave. The fabric, which was severely damaged by bombing in 1944, was restored by R. S. Morris by 1957.
A stone vicarage, built in Woodland Road opposite the church in 1878-80, was demolished in 1964, and was replaced by a purpose-built vicarage on land in the churchyard, to the west of the church.
A parish hall was built to the north of the church in 1908.
Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Church, New Southgate
Our Lady of Lourdes is a Roman Catholic Church. The Parish was established in the Diocese of Westminster in 1923, and mass was said in the presbytery until the church was built in 1935. Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Primary School was built in 1972 on the land owned by the Church to provide an education for the children of the parish.<ref name = "BijuJohn">Our Lady Of Lourdes R.C. Primary School on Cylex.</ref> Fr. Biju John was recently in residence<ref name = "BijuJohn">Our Lady of Lourdes Church Newsletter - Sunday 21 October.</ref>
- Arnos Grove tube station
- Arnos Park
- Arnos Pool
- Bowes Road Library
- Bowes Road NHS Clinic (also known as Arnos Grove Medical Centre)
The most notable transport problem associated with Arnos Grove is the long-delayed improvements to the A406 road (North Circular) between Palmers Green and Bounds Green. Arnos Grove is near this section of the A406 road. The junction most commonly associated with Arnos Grove is a crossroads between Bowes Road, Wilmer Way and Telford Road. This is one of the few junctions on the A406 road that the A406 road does not run straight through or under, hence the need for improvements. Originally, when the A406 road was under the control of the Highways Agency, a number of underpasses, like those at the Great Cambridge Roundabout and Edmonton sections were planned.<ref name = "TfL-A406-Background">TfL - A406, Bounds Green, Background</ref> However, before these plans were carried out, TfL gained control of the A406 road. TfL have shelved the idea of underpasses, favouring alternative ideas, such as improving junctions.<ref name = "TfL-A406-Maps">TfL - A406, Bounds Green, Maps.</ref> The work on widening the road was completed in 2012.
London Buses serving Arnos Grove are:
|34||Barnet||Walthamstow Central Station||Arriva London|
|184||Barnet||Turnpike Lane Station||Arriva London|
|232||St Raphael's Estate||Turnpike Lane Station||Metroline|
|251||Arnos Grove station||Edgware||London Sovereign|
|298||Potters Bar||Arnos Grove Station||Sullivan Buses|
|382||Mill Hill East Station||Southgate||Arriva London|
The following stations are in the area:
- Arnos Grove Station (Piccadilly Line)
- St. Paul's Church of England Primary, The Avenue, N11
- Broomfield School (Secondary)
- Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic School (Primary)
- Garfield School (Primary)
- Bounds Green
- Brunswick Park
- Friern Barnet
- New Southgate
- Palmers Green
- The Parish Church of St. Paul