The Pons Aemilius (Template:Lang-it), today called Ponte Rotto, is the oldest Roman stone bridge in Rome, Italy. Preceded by a wooden version, it was rebuilt in stone in the 2nd century BC. It once spanned the Tiber, connecting the Forum Boarium with Trastevere; a single arch in mid-river is all that remains today, lending the bridge its name Ponte rotto ("Broken bridge").
The oldest piers of the bridge were probably laid when the Via Aurelia was constructed in the mid-2nd century BC.<ref name="oxford">Claridge, Amanda (1998). Rome: An Oxford Archaeological Guide. Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press.</ref> Initially constructed in 179 BC with stone piers and a wooden superstructure, the bridge was fitted in 142 BC with six wholly stone arches. In 12 BC, Augustus completely restored the bridge with a tuff and concrete core.
Damaged and repaired on seven occasions, the bridge was defunct by 1598, when its eastern half was carried away in a flood. The remaining half was demolished in the 1890s, leaving behind only one arch.
- List of Roman bridges
- Roman architecture
- Roman engineering
- The Waters of Rome: Tiber River Bridges and the Development of the Ancient City of Rome